Fladbury Church - St John the Baptist
There has almost certainly been a Christian presence in Fladbury since the 7th century, but the present church, dedicated to St John the Baptist – as befits the church of a riverside community – dates predominantly from the 14th century.
The church contains numerous features of interest and attracts large numbers of visitors throughout the year. A particular source of interest is the work of Frederick Preedy. An able artist who combined the profession of architecture with the design, painting and manufacture of stained glass, he is responsible for ten windows in the church including the splendid East Window, installed in 1864.
There is a fine example of 14th century heraldic glass in the north side of the Chancel.
The 15th century Throckmorton memorial, housed now at the base of the bell tower, displays impressive brasses of John Throckmorton and his wife Eleanor.
The bell tower, the base of which predates the present Nave and Chancel, was strengthened in the 14th century and the final stage, with its battlement and pinnacles in the perpendicular style, was added in 1750-52 following the collapse of a former wooden steeple. Eight bells hang in the tower and are rung regularly by an enthusiastic band of ringers (who will always welcome new members).
The church is a focal point each summer of the Fladbury Walkabout, when the village welcomes thousands of visitors to see the floral art displayed in the church, as well as to visit open gardens in the village and enjoy other attractions and events.
Fladbury is a busy and lively community with a broad range of social and community activities in which the church community plays a full part and welcomes visitors to the village to join in any of the services, social activities, or simply to visit and enjoy the peace and beauty of our beautiful church.